Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Bee & Books

Miss Bee (Bailey) continues to feel a little better each day.  You can see in her eyes that she still isn't 100%, but the fact that she had motivation this morning to get dressed and do school and not just lie around with no energy, is huge step in the right direction!  We are so thankful for that!  Yesterday we had a pretty busy day of school, piano lessons in the afternoon, and a quick visit with Papa on our way home from lessons. 
We have another big storm expected to start today and not end until tomorrow afternoon.  They're predicting another 12" in our area.

This morning I got up and made hubby's breakfast, packed his lunch and saw him off to work.  I planned to go back to bed but I started reading my Bible and had such a good time there I didn't want it to end.  After that I read a chapter in a book I'm reading, and then spent time in prayer. By that time it was almost time for the kids to wake up for the day, so no extra sleep this morning.  That's okay though, it's special to me that my Lord desires quiet time with me and I never regret time in His Word.
I told the kids something similar yesterday... I said, "You'll never walk away from reading your Bible, or having time in prayer and think, 'that was a waste of my time'..."

I never got to the Library last week for the kids, but it may be possible we can get there today before the snow starts flying.  It'd be nice if the kids had some new books to read over the next few days being snowed in!  There's also a series of science DVDs that I want to borrow.


Currently I'm reading these books in my quiet time.  I never used to be a reader.  In fact, until the past 5 years or so I don't think I ever finished a book.  I hated reading in school.  But I discovered that it's because I don't enjoy reading fiction.  I'm just not one to really enjoy going into a different, made up world and following some storyline that has no meaning to me.  Maybe that's why I'm not much a movie fan either. I don't know. But either way, I have found that I *love* reading when it comes to books that encourage me to be a better child of God, a better wife, mom, Pastor's wife, teacher,  gardener, healthy eater, you name it... if it has some meaning to my life I enjoy reading it! Now those things I can justify spending time reading.
I'm not at all against fiction!  It just doesn't interest me, personally.  Ohhhh, the things we truly grasp and learn when we are genuinely interested...  did you know, we almost always retain new information if we're actually interested in the topic?  And if we have no interest we may memorize some facts for a short time but we are not likely to retain it.  Maybe soon I'll write about education philosophies and why we school the way we do :)  another day.....

Well, enough about reading, I'm off to make breakfast.  We're having eggs, ham steaks and strawberries!  Then it off to library and home for school!

No comments:

Post a Comment